Thursday, April 25, 2013

Tasting - Tobin James Silver Reserve Syrah

Name: Tobin James Silver Reserve Syrah
Variety: Syrah
Region: Paso Robles, California
Country: USA
Year: 2009
Price: $48
Review: Ah, the Silver Reserve Syrah! Always one of the best wines we make, the 2009 is no exception. This wine exhibits all the qualities that a classic Syrah should have: graceful layers of fruit interlaced with hints of spices and herbs. A long, lingering finish completes this perfect Syrah. The wine tastes amazing, but as with any great Syrah, it will continue to improve in the bottle for 4 to 6 years. But why wait? You're not cheating yourself by enjoying it now. Try it with herb-rubbed lamb. (From the James Gang Club insert)

My Review: After having numerous cheap Syrahs, I was thrilled to try one of quality (Thanks Dad!). I thought the nose on this wine had a lot of blackberries, and when it was open for a while it took on a jammy quality. I could taste oak at first, but it was a very smooth oak feeling. As the meal went on, I began to taste more black pepper, with a black cherry aftertaste. A very good wine.

Food? I had this wine with a grilled ribeye steak with grilled potatoes and asparagus. I thought the steak enhanced the tannins in this wine - it brought them more to my notice, but in a good way.

No comments:

Post a Comment